RN - First Assistant
Company: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City
Location: Jefferson City
Posted on: July 13, 2019
Fulfill your calling at SSM Health. At SSM Health we know that
being a nurse is more than a career, it is a calling. As an SSM
Health nurse, you have responsibility to carry on a ministry our
founding Sisters set forth more than 144 years ago by offering hope
and healing to our patients and when you join our team, our sacred
ministry is in your hands. Each one of us brings a special gift to
our Mission, what will yours be? Employees tell us that the
environment at SSM Health feels more like a family. Employees are
warm and friendly, they enjoy each other's company, they care for
one another and they share a passion for delivering exceptional
patient care! Role Purpose: The Registered Nurse First Assistant is
responsible for the direct and indirect care of peri-operative
patients. They collaborate with other team members in the planning,
organizing, and care of their assigned patients. They ensure
compliance with JCAHO regulatory requirements and AORN standards.
They are professionally responsible for the assessment,
prescription, implementation and evaluation of the delivery of
patient care and are accountable for the outcome. Responsibilities:
- Performs expanded professional nurse role as first assistant to
the surgeon in all specialty areas including cardiothoracic.
- Under general direction of the surgeon, provides assistance in
tissue handling, suturing, and hemostatic techniques, while
providing maximum exposure of the surgical site.
- Is knowledgeable in the principles of surgical anatomy and
physiology, and operative techniques and preferences of the
- The RNFA will evaluate perioperative patients and plans and
help coordinate direct patient care with the operative team.
- Develops a plan of care based on patient assessments, physician
preferences and scheduled procedure criteria. Collaborates with
physicians and other health care professionals to plan and prepare
individualized care for each patient.
- Appropriately prepares equipment, supply and resource needs
based on an individualized plan of care. Reevaluates and modifies
resource needs as needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to perform all
aspects of a variety of surgical procedures. Implements a plan of
care that incorporates physician prescribed treatments, nursing
assessments and diagnostic data in a manner that is prioritized,
timely, and integrated with the plan of care. Utilizes critical
judgment to analyze patient assessment data to develop an
appropriate plan of care
- Demonstrates competence in delegation, problem solving,
conflict resolution, and team building. Evaluates care given by
team members and gives feedback. Effectively supervises team
members and maintains accountability for standard of care provided.
Acts as a resource to other team members.
- Organizes and utilizes time efficiently. Demonstrates
appropriate prioritization. Maintains an organized work
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively on a team.
Demonstrates positive interpersonal relationships with patients,
significant others, multidisciplinary team members and
- Assists in other Surgical Services departments as needed.
Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing school. Bachelor's Degree
- Current Missouri License of registered Nurse required. BCLS,
ACLS preferred. Completion of formal training in approved RN First
Assist program preferred.
- Minimum of 2 yrs experience in OR, current CNOR, current CRNFA
or eligible. Previous experience as CRNFA preferred.
- Knowledge and skills to provide patient care appropriate to the
specific department. Ability to function effectively in stressful
situations. Awareness of changing trends in nursing practice and
ability to adapt, including knowledge of Missouri Nurse Practice
Act. Ability to communicate in verbal and written methods. Ability
and willingness to rotate shifts, take call and adjust to necessary
schedule changes. Ability to work under supervision as well as
ability to oversee others. Physical Requirements:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 100 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily.
- Standing or walking more than 6 hours a day.
- Running to respond to patient emergencies.
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 2 hours
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone
variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body
sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper
operation. SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City - SSM
Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City is a 167-bed,
full-service community hospital located in Missouri's state
capital. The hospital moved to a new, state-of-the-art building in
November 2014. The hospital features a dedicated inpatient
pediatric unit, a Wound Center and Outpatient Treatment Center.
Other services offered at the hospital include emergency services,
cardiology, orthopedic care, cancer care, outpatient surgical
services, maternity care and women's health.
Keywords: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Jefferson City, Jefferson City , RN - First Assistant, Healthcare , Jefferson City, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!