Company: SSM Health
Location: Jefferson City
Posted on: September 18, 2022
Under direct supervision, performs general histological duties
according to established procedures as well as preparation of
histologic slides for microscopic examination and diagnosis by the
- Exercises independent judgment in dealing with procedural and
- Examines slides and/or blocks to ensure tissue preparation is
meeting laboratory requirements.
- Trains and/or directs Histology Aides and Histology Technicians
engaged in laboratory testing and processing techniques.
- Prepares sections of human tissue for microscopic examination
and patient diagnosis, using techniques to gross (dissect tissue),
embed (orient specimen in paraffin block), section (cut thin
sections of tissue), stain (enhance contrast of tissue and
highlight specific features of interest with routine hematoxylin
and eosin stains), and mount tissue (adhere tissue onto glass
slides), from surgical procedures.
- Performs recuts and additional stains including special and
immunohistochemistry stains, as requested by a Pathologist.
- Performs high complexity testing and assay validation to
include: IHC, FISH and others as needed.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and tracks all routine
maintenance and quality controls performed.
- May label requisitions, specimen containers, cassettes and/or
slides and affixes coverslip to slides.
- Operates, cleans, and sterilizes laboratory equipment,
glassware, instruments, and workstation.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as
well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned. EDUCATION
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent years of experience and
- No experience requiredPHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, reaching and repetitive
foot/leg and hand/arm movements.
- Frequent use of vision and depth perception for distances near
(20 inches or less) and far (20 feet or more) and to identify and
- Frequent use of hearing and speech to share information through
oral communication. Ability to hear alarms, malfunctioning
- Frequent keyboard use/data entry.
- Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting and
- Occasional lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects
weighing 25-50 lbs.
- Rare climbing. Associated topics: aseptic, aseptic technique,
food, healthcare, histotechnologist, immuno oncology,
pharmacometrics, protein, vaccine, virus
Keywords: SSM Health, Jefferson City , Histolotechnologist, Other , Jefferson City, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!